Updated on November 3, 2020 by
We are hiring an Operations and Maintenance Engineer
Now you have the chance to work in a very special and exciting environment. As the Operations and Maintenance Engineer at EISCAT you will work with our current radar systems and also with our new system, EISCAT_3D, which is presently under construction.
- Tasks include operations, repair, and maintenance of the current EISCAT systems which are comprised of dish-based antenna systems and klystron-driven transmitters. An even more challenging endeavour will be participation in the complex engineering, scoping, planning, design validation, and construction management of EISCAT_3D. Your particular skills and interests will determine the primary areas of individual responsibility.
EISCAT_3D is a modern, multi-static, phased array radar system currently being constructed in Finland, Norway, and Sweden. The construction project started 1 September 2017 and the system will be ready for use at the end of 2022. Site preparations have mostly been completed and the system hardware will be installed starting summer 2021.
- A degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or equivalent. Basic education coupled with long relevant experience can compensate for lack of a formal engineering degree
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in similar positions
- Familiarity with structured design methodology covering specification, design, implementation, and testing
- Excellent problem-solving skills, pro-active hands-on mentality, a team player, driven to achieve success
- Good technical communication skills in English, both verbal and written, are necessary
- A driving license of at least category B is required
Qualifications in one or more of these areas is also preferable:
- Electrical installations, preferably with a professional letter (For Sweden B, AL or A certifications)
- Work experience in engineering theory, principles, practices, materials, costs, construction techniques, current trends, regulations, standards and equipment and tools applicable to engineering and construction management
- Experience in designing and operating system critical automation and control environments
- Education in RF fundamentals or equivalent practical experience
Location and employment terms:
The Operations and Maintenance Engineer will work at EISCAT Headquarters in Kiruna but needs to be prepared to spend time at the EISCAT operating sites in Finland, Norway, including Svalbard, and Sweden. Work at the non-Swedish sites are considered as regular business trips and will usually last 5-10 days. The employment terms, including length of employment, are subject to negotiation but should not be less than two years. A continuation in a regular position may be possible thereafter. EISCAT follows terms comparable to state employee rules.
How to apply:
For further details about the position, please contact:
Robert Juhlin, EISCAT Project Engineer
Phone: +46 70 310 00 78
Henrik Andersson, EISCAT Head of Administration,
Phone: +46 70 209 43 85
The application should include:
- Application letter and CV
- Diplomas and transcripts for all degrees
All documentation to be considered must be in a Scandinavian language or English.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com (subject: HQEngineer2020) at earliest convenience. The closing date for applications is 30 November 2020, though, the vacancy may be filled before that date, so please do not wait to submit your application.
A pdf suitable for distribution can be found here.