Status 22 November 2017: Position filled
Kiruna 20 June, 2017
Project Leader for the EISCAT_3D project
EISCAT Scientific Association is seeking a Project Leader to manage the construction of EISCAT_3D.
EISCAT_3D is a modern, multi-static, phased array radar system to be deployed in Finland, Norway and Sweden. The implementation phase starts 1 September 2017 and the system will be ready for use in 2021.
As Project Leader you will lead the construction of EISCAT_3D. In addition to leading and coaching the EISCAT_3D project team, the Project Leader is responsible for ensuring that all project activities are conduced according to established policies, quality standards and financial targets as well as in accordance with health, safety and environment requirements. In addition, the Project Leader will contribute to the system development by adopting best practices and seeking improvement opportunities and by implementing these, when appropriate, during the implementation phase.
The Project Leader will also act as key contact to the EISCAT user community and will build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The Project Leader will, in addition to the management tasks, act as a member of the project team, perform as project engineer and/or task leader on industry and consultancy work and will plan and direct, as representative of the project team, the work of professional and technical staff, consultants and contractors. The Project Leader will provide overall oversight related to the scope, schedule and budget for project deliveries and installations. In addition, the Project Leader will perform budgeting and capacity planning.
• A degree relevant for the position, or similar knowledge gained from previous work experience
• A minimum of 10 years work experience whereof at least 5 years in a senior leading role
• Familiarity with structured design methodology covering specification, design, implementation, and testing
• Clear focus on organizational leadership
• Good work experience with engineering theory, principles, practices, materials, costs, construction techniques, current trends, regulations, standards, and equipment and tools applicable to engineering and construction management
• Good problem solving skills, pro-active hands-on mentality, a team player, driven to achieve success
• Ability and experience planning, assigning, supervising and/or coordinating the work of professional, technical, and field staff
• Ability and experience communicating scientific and technical matters to non-technical individuals, including policy makers and the public
• Ability to interact effectively, engage in problem solving, represent EISCAT and partners with citizens, community groups and contractors
• Excellent technical communication skills in English, both verbal and written, are necessary
• A driving license of at least category B is required
What EISCAT offers:
The work environment is international with colleagues originating from various countries and also actually working in different countries; Finland, Norway plus Svalbard and Sweden. The EISCAT users come from universities and research organisations from around the world. The atmosphere is relaxed though with a fast pace, particularly relating to the construction of EISCAT_3D. Joining the EISCAT_3D project early allows you to set your own mark on how the project will run and develop. EISCAT_3D will be a world-class facility unique in its field. Being part of that build will both be challenging and rewarding in terms of work satisfaction and career building.
The employment terms are comparable to state employment rules. This means 28 – 35 days annual vacation (depending on age), relocation coverage, good pension benefits and insurance coverage, etc.
Terms and how to apply:
The initial stage of the EISCAT_3D implementation phase runs from 1 September 2017 to 31 December 2021. The employment terms, including length of employment, are subject to negotiation but should not be less than two and not more than four years. EISCAT follows terms comparable to state employee rules.
For this position, we can offer a work location either at EISCAT Headquarters in Kiruna, Sweden, or in a soon to be established project office annex in the Stockholm-Uppsala area. Other work locations, including self-employment, can also be negotiated.
EISCAT_3D will be built in at least three locations in northern Finland, Norway and Sweden and the expected industry contracts will most probably be spread European/world-wide. As a result, extensive travel is expected.
We envisage a start date during September – December 2017. Due to this, a successful candidate will have to show a valid Swedish work permit at the time of signing an employment contract.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com (subject: Project Leader) at earliest convenience.
The vacancy is open until filled
For further details about the position, please contact:
Craig Heinselman, EISCAT Director,
Phone: +46 70 270 90 34
Henrik Andersson, EISCAT Head of Administration
Phone: +46 70 209 43 85